I made this curry for dinner tonight and it took me immediately back to all the delicious meals I ate in Thailand last year. I hope you guys enjoy this curry as much as I do 🙂
2 cups brown rice (or white, I just prefer brown)
4 cups water
1 finely sliced onion
3 cloves crushed garlic
1 Tbsp vege oil
2 cans coconut cream
4 Tbsp red curry paste
2 Tbsp soy sauce (can buy this gluten-free)
2 1/2 Tbsp brown sugar
10 kaffir lime leaves
Optional: fresh chilli or hot sauce, broccoli, cauliflower, snow peas, beans, carrot, capsicum, tofu
- Put rice and water into a rice cooker and cook. Alternatively, cook in a pot. You will know it is ready when the rice has soaked up all the liquid.
- Drizzle oil into a wok. Once oil has heated, turn element onto a medium heat and put in the onion and garlic. Stir until onions turn slightly brown and are clear. (If onion or garlic sticks to wok at any time, add in a little more oil and turn down heat).
- Now add in the coconut cream into the wok and let boil.
- Once the coconut cream has boiled, add in the red curry paste and stir thoroughly.
- Add in all remaining ingredients, including all of the optional ingredients (apart from the tofu) that you desire.
- Keep over a low heat and stir occasionally. Leave on element until all veges have been cooked through. I recommend keeping on low heat for a while, as the longer it is left, the more flavorsome it will turn out.
- Cook the tofu if you wish to include tofu in the curry.
Crumbed Tofu (optional)
If gluten free, use this tofu recipe instead
3 Tbsp vege oil
1 packet firm tofu cut into large cubes
1 slice of bread
1 Tbsp coriander seeds
Optional: a few dried, crushed chillis or chilli powder
- Add the bread, coriander seeds, pepper and chilli into a blender and blend into small crumbs.
- In one bowl, add in a bit of the red curry mixture and in another, add the bread crumbs.
- In a fry pan, add in the oil.
- Take a piece of tofu at a time and cover with curry sauce, then cover with the breadcrumb mix.
- Once the oil has heated, put in the tofu. Flip over when the side faced down is a golden brown. Patience is keen when cooking tofu! (If the tofu begins to stick at any time, add in a little more oil and turn heat down).
- Once tofu is golden brown on all sides, remove from heat and serve on top of the curry.