Makes 8-9 rolls
2 cups sushi rice
1 cup quinoa (optional, I think it tastes better with quinoa though)
6 cups water
1/2 carrot cut into matchsticks
1/2 capsicum cut into matchsticks
1/2 avocado cut into long pieces
Tofu Tofu Recipe (cut tofu into strips instead of cubes as the recipe says)
1/4 cup sesame seeds
2 Tbsp soy sauce or tamari
Nori sheets (I buy a pack of 10)
Optional: wasabi, pickled ginger (you can get both these things from most supermarkets)
- In a rice cooker add the sushi rice and 4 cups of water then cook. If you do not have a rice cooker, cook in a pot.
- While the rice is cooking, prepare the veges and cook the tofu.
- Once the rice is cooked, set aside in a bowl. Now add the quinoa into the rice cooker along with 2 cups of the water and cook.
- While the quinoa is cooking prepare the seeds. Add the sesame seeds into a frying pan. Keep on a medium heat, stirring constantly until they start browning up (this should not take long). Remove from heat and add in the soy sauce/tamari and stir. Put into a bowl and set aside.
- Once the quinoa is cooked, add the rice and combine.
- On a sushi roller mat, (if you don’t have one you can try using just your hands to roll it up…good luck) lay down a nori sheet and cover half of the sheet with a thin layer of the rice/quinoa. In the center of rice, add all the fillings you desire and roll, (if nori won’t stick to itself, try adding a little water). Now cut and serve.
I love eating my sushi with some soy sauce or tamari, wasabi and ginger which we get from the supermarket 🙂